Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has bloody diarrhea.

Customer Question

My dog has bloody diarrhea.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Is he on any medications?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1) He's not playful, but he's walking around ok. He just went upstairs. They said he was fine at day care (but I'm not sure I'd 100% believe that)
2) Not that I know of, but he is a golden and him and the other golden are constantly eating stuffing from toys, etc... But I don't know of anything in last 48 hours
3) 100 lbs
4) He has skin issues occasionally. The vet said it was allergy based.
5) no

1- Any other symptoms?

2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1) No other symptoms. The other golden is fine.
2) Pink to Dark Pink

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you for answering all of my questions.

Friend, when we see bloody diarrhea this is caused by inflammation in the colon. I am sure this is very scary for you seeing him bleed. But, depending on the underlying cause will depend on the prognosis. You see, this can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, HGE, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. If you are noticing his gums more red than usual I would have him checked by ER veterinarian, important to rule out HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis) which could be fatal. I don't want to scare you, but, I would prefer to err on the side of caution. If you do not have access to ER veterinarian this is what you can do until he is seen by family veterinarian:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours to control the vomiting need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water, wait a half hour if no vomiting continue to give water every hour or so. Leave him without food for 8-12 hours, then offer a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. Keep him indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He's been drinking water and ate dinner without vomiting. I wouldn't say his gums are any redder. Just a full pink. Are there any additional signs that it's getting serious and I need to go ASAP?

That is a good sign if he ate and is not vomiting.

If he continues to vomit, becomes noticeably lethargic or gums becomes red or pale, etc. I would have him checked by ER veterinarian otherwise follow up with family veterinarian.

Please reply if you have additional questions.