Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 13 yo whippet mix has had a rough year. Last summer she

Customer Question

My 13 yo whippet mix has had a rough year. Last summer she had a stroke which she fully recovered from with use of steroids. On the MRI it was also discovered that she had a pituitary tumor. We had her treated with SRT therapy which apparently was too strong for her and 8 months later (this past May) she started showing signs of weakness and imbalance again and this time the MRI showed that she had radiation necrosis and brain edema. We had her on 20 mg of steroids a day again until last week when the dosage was reduced to 15. Now she is suffering very strong side effects from the steroids, the worst being massive muscle wasting, especially in her back legs. She has a lot of trouble walking and even standing and laying down. I have been reading online about passive physical therapy exercises that I can do for her and have also begun feeding her foods like lean ground beef hamburgers and boiled chicken breast in addition to her regular high protein dry dog food. Can you please advise me as to how to specifically help her gain back muscle mass? Supplements, exercises, food (type and amount)? She went from 43 lbs to 36 lbs and I really want her to gain it back by building muscle, not fat. Thank you in advance!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I forgot to mention that the steroid she is taking is prednisone
Expert:  Dani Rabwin replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Dani. I see you posted this a while ago - did you receive the help you needed? If not, I will be able to help answer your questions. I will be online for about 2 hours tonight, and then again tomorrow night.