Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My mother in law left her package of Dulcolax pills out

Customer Question

My mother in law left her package of Dulcolax pills out where my dog found them. She isn't sure how many were in the package. Possibly 10. Any danger?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: active ingredient is bisacodyl usp 5mg
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: No sign of pain or diarrhea or sickness yet. she ate them a few hours ago.
JA: The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: she's a 85 pound 2 year old black lab.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

There's litttle risk from that drug even in excess for an 85 lb dog. You're likely to see its laxative effects within 6-10 hours and cramping, diarrhea, vomiting and, potentially, fluid and electrolyte imbalances can occur with egregious overdoses. A usual dose for an 85 lb dog would be three of the 5 mg tablets. It's minimally absorbed after oral administration and so systemic toxicity isn't an issue. Monitor him, please, and have replacement fluids and electrolytes given if fluid loss is excessive from either end of him (unlikely). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.