Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has a dry cough. No one can seem to find out why.

Customer Question

My dog has a dry cough. No one can seem to find out why. She's been to 3 different vets and every medication that she's been give does not help. She's had X-rays and nothing is in her throat nor is there any kind of blockage.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Has anyone given you a diagnosis on what is causing the coughing?
2) What medications have been tried? Be as descriptive as possible.
3) When did the coughing begin?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have already said what has been done. She has been given some cough pills /didn't work/some kind of Chinese pills/didn't work/honey/didn't help much. One said that from the X-rays it could possibly be that the flap hangs up while she is resting. This doesn't happen whole she us running or playing only when sleeping/relaxing. This started about. Year ago.one said Algerries.

I should have been more specific, Gail. I'm looking for the name of the cough pills, the chinese pills, etc. Knowing what has already been used will let me know what to recommend.

It sounds like your vet may have discussed brachycephalic airway disease with you. Not sure if they did mention this, but there is a surgery that can help greatly if this is the cause. Medication won't fix tissue being located in a place that is causing a temporary obstruction.