Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is not putting any pressure on his front left paw and

Customer Question

hi my dog is not putting any pressure on his front left paw and is panting very heavily. And his eyes are red. he is a pure breed german shephard and is roughly 10 months old. He is still a pup and is normally energetic, but he will not get up . Checked him for ticks and nothing. he has slowly gone down hill throughout the day. I am unsure to rush him to a vet or not. I have felt over his paw and doesn't feel like a break but will not step on it. He is holding it up (limp) when he walks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Max is not doing well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he able to walk on 3 legs or he is not walking at all?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
noticed it this afternoon.he was walking on 3 legs but will now not get up at all.

Please give me a few more minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you

Friend, in any case of a non-weight bearing lameness we need to rule out a fracture. Other possible causes are a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) or nerve injury. He is not willing to get either as a result of pain or he could have a lesion in the neck that is placing pressure on the spinal cord and could be affecting all of his limbs. The main concern would be a compressing lesion in the neck. In this case, unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home. There is really not much I can recommend for you to try that would any significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. I know you must be very stress and concern seeing your dog in this condition. The best and only option for Max is to see your family veterinarian this morning for a hands-on examination and x-rays as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and x-ray finding. I realize that this answer may not be to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Hi Melissa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter