Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a worry and happy to pay phone consultation. I have

Customer Question

Hi I have a worry and happy to pay phone consultation. I have been breeding border collies 49 years out of that I have had 3 and this is the 4th mismating which I have had to terminate with Alizin. The bitch mated did not seem ready but mated anyway I had her to vet within 2 days to terminate with Alizin, because I live 2 hours from vet I asked could I give 2d vaccination my self as I have done this twice before he gave me the first one to do and was satisfied I did it ok, Gave the 2ed exactly 24 hrs. later but I had given about half or more and the needle came off the end of syringe from the pressure, could not get hold of the vet, I waited and she continued to stay in season the 13 days late she was still flagging hubby thought he had separated the boys and her but I looked out window and saw the bitch and the dog not tied but just standing next to each other They would have been together unnoticed for about half hour, I have no idea if they mated again or not, volva was wet swollen and flagging and boys very interested, I have an ovulation detector and took a reading which was 460, so she may have ovulated, Could you please advise me, I may be able to get a friend to do an ultrasound in 2 weeks when if she is pregnant from first mating to see if she is pregnant, After the first lot of Alizin can she still fall pregnant within a certain time if mated or does that terminate any further pregnancy for that particular season. I am really concerned now if she is pregnant that she goes full term we may have deformed pups or dead pups, I could also ultrasound her 4-5 weeks after the 2ed mating to see if she is pregnant and is it safe to still terminate then She was 3 years old in June and had already had 2 litters with the last litter only 4 months prior to her season this time. So there is no way I want her to whelp another litter for at least 12 months. I breed Border collies and also do pet rescue, Dogs are my life. Could you please tell me was she still fertile after the first lot of injections and could she still be pregnant after the 2ed mating I am just at a total loss but want what is best for her, hoping you can advise me, regards Thea
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

If this bitch did not receive a followup dose or the 2nd dose was not a full amount, the potential for failure of the injection is present.

In some cases, Alizin is also used for confirmed pregnant bitches to induce abortion in the case of a mismating up to 45 days following a heat cycle. Many veterinarians prefer to use the injection following the completion of a heat cycle because your concern (continued breeding despite the injection being given) is a common one.

It would contact your veterinarian to discuss the concern here with your bitch not receiving the full dose of Alizin and discuss whether or not a repeat following the heat cycle is needed. You can, if needed, confirm pregnancy up to the 45th day and, if she is indeed pregnant, schedule to have the Alizin administered again to induce abortion. Be advised that treatment on a pregnant dog may well involve fetal expulsion and some owners elect to have their dog hospitalized to allow the staff to care for the bitch during this time (cleanup can also be rather messy).

Let me know if I can help further.

Checking in. How is your companion doing, JACustomer?