Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 25 pound puppy just ate a 50 mg pill of trazadome will he

Customer Question

my 25 pound puppy just ate a 50 mg pill of trazadome will he be ok
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: simon
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about simon?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I did want to let you know that this is a drug we use in dogs. This means it wasn't an outright poisoning. Furthermore, this is a moderate dose but not an overdose for a dog Simon's size. So, we'd need to monitor for adverse signs like lethargy, sedation, GI upset (appetite loss, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea), panting, hyperactivity, shaking, restlessness, and/or agitation; but would not expect more severe signs.

With this in mind and given that he may have had this a few hours ago, we have a few options. You can monitor and use supportive care as needed.Or you could also give activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** care, we can keep things calm/quiet/dimly lit to reduce stimulation. As well, to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this isn’t an overdose for his signs but we could see some mild adverse signs. So, the above would be our focus at this point to keep him stable and reduce any risk of these minor signs over the next 24 hours.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?