Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog may have ingested suboxone - approximately 3 or 4 mg.

Customer Question

My dog may have ingested suboxone - approximately 3 or 4 mg. She is an 8 month old puppy and weighs 32 pounds. Help!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if may will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about may?
Customer: No - it's been about a 1/2 hour and she's acting normal - again - I'm not sure if she ingested or not. I just found a chewed wrapper which I believe she got from trash so it would have been empty but there is a small possibility it could have also been from my drawer in which case it would have been around 4mg.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No - a written response is fine - thank you!

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Where a dog has potentially swallowed any sort of drug not intended for it one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things may be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However if you fail to induce vomiting and / or if any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case with Suboxone expected side effects would include restlessness and whimpering through to respiratory depression and lethargy.

3. But I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How long would it take for symptoms to appear?

Hello again,

I would normally expect to see symptoms appear within the first two hour period following ingestion ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Suboxone ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She was fine - I don't believe she actually ingested any - just got hold of the wrapper which was enough to scare me! Thanks for following up!

Brilliant! Best outcome :-)

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

Of course I am very glad to have advised you and even more glad that May has been unaffected by her experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott