Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

She got one of my medicines and I don't have the money to

Customer Question

She got one of my medicines and I don't have the money to call the aspca poison control.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the ate?
Customer: Yes. Methimazole. 5mg tablet. No more than 3. Possibly 15mg.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the?
Customer: She is a year old boxer. 55 pounds.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. Please give me a few minutes to review your question.

Friend, your dog based on weight took a dose of 0.6mg/kg of Methimazole; at this dose, the worst you can expect is mild gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea, otherwise, she will be fine. I would keep an eye on her for the next 24 hours, if she develops vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep her indoors in a cool room when fasting.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter