Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog got into a pill container of blood pressure

Customer Question

My dog got into a pill container of blood pressure medication and I don't know if she ate any. I don't know how long ago, but sometime in the past three hours.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Winnie. She's 1. English bulldog.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winnie?
Customer: She is currently on Hydroxyzine and apoquel
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

Can you tell me, please, which medication might have been ingested and how much Winnie weighs?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
46 lbs.
She chewed the label off the container, so I don't know exactly. One less potent than Norvasc.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Was an old prescription, from 2015.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just confirmed via Google. Was 5 mg amlopidine. Don't know if she actually ate any or if she did, how many. There are at least 20 pills unconsumed.

Thank you. We prescribe amlodipine at a dose of up to 0.25 mg/lb or ~ 10 mg for Winnie. While there's limited information concerning acute toxicity with this drug in dogs, the most common symptom of overdose was tachycardia (increased heart rate), hypotension (low blood pressure), lethargy, and vomiting. This drug has a relatively slow onset of action and so Winnie will need to be observed for a few hours and attended to by an on-call vet should she begin to behave abnormally. While lethargy and vomiting would be obvious to you, tachycardia and hypotension would need to be detected by a vet. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Should I induce vomiting, or is it too late for that?

It's not unreasonable if it's been less than 2 hours since she ingested this drug. You would dose her with 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) of 3% hydrogen peroxide by means of a small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, repeat the same dose.