Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 50 pound Plott Hound just ate a stick of butter. Should I

Customer Question

My 50 pound Plott Hound just ate a stick of butter. Should I make him throw it up?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the Plott hound will be able to digest that. What is the Plott hound's name and age?
Customer: Pearse, 2 yrs. old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pearse?
Customer: he is currently undergoing heart worm treatment
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

There's nothing toxic in butter although ingesting so much is likely to cause GI distress as evidenced by inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea. If you induce emesis you're essentially causing GI distress when you dose with the hydrogen peroxide which irritates the stomach lining and so I would simply "watchful wait" at this time and only treat Pearse if vomiting arose and didn't abate quickly which would end up dehydrating and electrolyte imbalancing him.

If you prefer to induce emesis the dose of 3% hydrogen peroxide is 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) given with a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, you can repeat the same dose one more time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?