Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have a poodle mix he got bitten by a bigger dog he can't

Customer Question

Hello I have a poodle mix he got bitten by a bigger dog he can't walk and his body seems to jst fall from side to side I noticed his jaw is broken I've been giving him pain meds and feeding him chicken broth when he try's to get up I noticed he can't hold his head up it falls like if he had no bones he also has lots of mucus coming out of nose what can I do I have no money for vets bills and I jst don't wanna see him suffer
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the poodle. What is the poodle's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Toby?
Customer: I noticed the dog has bite marks only in the head and under his mouth no were else
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are u guys going to try and help or not
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please I need help
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How long ago was this bite sustained?
2) Do you have video to provide of what you're seeing at home?
3) Pictures of his jaw?
4) What pain meds are being given?

I apologize for the delay. Your question just appeared on our board.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He got bitten 3days ago I'm giving him abprophen for babies and no I don't have any vedios I no his bottom part of his mouth is broken because his bottom part of him mouth moves apart
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He can't hold his neck up when I pick him up its like if he were dead

How much does your companion weight?

How much ibuprofen is being given?

I ask, because ibuprofen can be toxic to dogs.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
About 6 to 8 pounds and only about 1/2 tbs a day

Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 5-10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank u

From the information shared, this is roughly 50mg with each dosage. A single dosage at this amount is likely to cause GI ulcers and abdominal pain. The repeated dosages to follow increase the risk for kidney failure. Due to the symptoms that you're seeing, I'm very concerned that the ibuprofen has caused a severe toxicity that absolutely would need to be treated professionally. It also sounds like you're describing a ramus or symphyseal break in the jaw which, again, would need to be professionally tended in order to properly heal.

It's not often that I recommend the choice of euthanasia to customers, but I think it would be a kind consideration for him because he has sustained such major injuries and complications following the injury. Often animal control in any given area offers this service for sick and injured animals at no charge to the owner.

Please let me know if I can help further.