Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Our dog has been losing hai on his face & neck also today

Customer Question

our dog has been losing hai on his face & neck also today vomited clear liquid and just lays not his perky self . could you please tell us what it might be we have no money to take him to the vet but we love him so much.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you can call me my # is ***********
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hello have you found anything yet please let me know something
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Do you pictures to share of this hair loss?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no they are small round on his face bit we found a large one on his neck today

Are they scabbed or irritated?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the ones on his face are scabbing we have put an anti-biotic on them
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the large ones on his neck are open
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they don't seem to hurt him he let us put medicine on them

There are a few things that can be done at home to help make a pet with a stomach upset feel better. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. Make sure to wait at least 2 hours before offering food and water, and make sure to offer in small amounts so that ingestion does not induce vomiting.

As well, the areas on the face and neck could stand to have an exam, but because you're trying to avoid a veterinary exam I would try some antihistamines along side the antibiotic ointment that you're using. My favorite for dogs is Zyrtec. It may take daily dosing for 3-5 days before you will begin to see benefits and it can take 4-6 weeks before hair fully grows back in. Make sure to keep dosing even if you aren't seeing immediate improvements. You can find the dosage here:

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what is wrong with him?
Are you still here?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is that all the advice ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you haven't told me whats wrong with him !!!!!

Linda, thank you for your patience. I had signed off for lunch at 12:40pm.

Unfortunately, without a picture, there very little I can tell you because I cannot see what you are seeing. At this time of year, allergies are very common and it's very possible that is causing the hair loss. We can see everything from allergies to bacterial infections, mange to immune-mediated disorders that cause facial hair loss. Without an exam, as well, this limits what can be known about the situation. In any case, antihistamines should not hurt as a therapy to try at home regardless of the cause.

I will include instructions below on how to attach a picture, if you are able in the near future. Close, detailed pictures will help me to best help you.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like and to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, you can post the link back and I can access them.