Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My littl yorkie ate some popcorn with me last night and when

Customer Question

My littl yorkie ate some popcorn with me last night and when we went to bed she started like coughing and almost like she's trying to throw up . It goes away and she will do it again. Could she possibly have a kernel in her throat ?
Thank you *****
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now it is unlikely for her to have a kernel in her throat since these are too small to get caught. Instead, Lucy's signs are more suggestive of throat irritation possibly due to the popcorn itself. In this case, since popcorn isn't dangerous and cannot readily cause obstruction (since it melts in contact with fluid), we'd want to try some supportive care. Specifically, you can try her on a mild cough suppressant like glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM with her. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce any possible irritation driving her to cough. Furthermore, if she has a throat irritation, then soaking her kibble or offering soft foods may also help reduce her signs. Though if this is severe or she doesn't settle in 24 hours, we could have her vet check her throat to ensure there is nothing else amiss (ie a well timed upper airway infection) and potentially start her on a dog safe anti-inflammatory to soothe her throat.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She only weighs a little over 3 lbs so how much cough syrup should I give her
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

If she is that small then you can try 0.25 teaspoon of honey or 0.2 teaspoon of the Robitussin DM (no other medicated cough syrup though).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's almost like she's trying to make herself throw up and get it out. Should I take her to my vet ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Often they will retch with sore throats, just as we will. If you think she is severely uncomfortable with this, then you can see her vet for a check and anti-inflammatory. Otherwise, you can choose to try the above first if you wish to.

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )