Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I just got my puppy Knox last night. He is a dauchand. The

Customer Question

I just got my puppy Knox last night. He is a dauchand. The breeder said he is a piebald but from My research I believe he is a double dapper. He seems healthy and playful. I believe he might have Horner syndrome in both eyes. His eyes are a little sucken in his head. The thrid eye lid is very visible in front of his eye. His eye lids sag. I believe he is blind too. U can pull his skin back to see his pupils and move your hand towards his eye and he has no reactions to object coming at his eye like a normal dog wood. He looks around and his eyes move normal. His pupil reacts to light. Took him to the vet today said he looks healthy but can't determine if his blind 100% and he thinks it's Horner syndrome. He didn't know much about double dapper dauchands. What you think?
JA: I'm sure Knox feels you are doing your best. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Knox?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this. This is worrisome and should prompt returning this pup to the breeder. Have you seen this site: http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/double-dapple-dachshund-dogs-and-their-problems.html

If you're intent on keeping him he should be examined by a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist as can be found here: www.acvo.org/ Such a specialist is well-equipped to properly examine this pup's eyes. There's quite a combination of congenital eye defects that can appear with this genetic coloration - in many breeds. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.