Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have 103 pound Akita male dog, who has been sneezing and

Customer Question

I have 103 pound Akita male dog, who has been sneezing and having difficulty breathing while he's sneezing and coughing is there anything that I can do for him at home I have given him benadryl is there anything else I can do or should I take him to my vet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough/ sneeze and give relief

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant

2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs

3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.

I hope this information makes sense! If the cough is productive, there is lethargic or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He gets a shower 3/4 times a week because of his dry skin,so I don't really see an answer to my question!Not happy with this reply,didn't tell me anything

I am not talking about a shower, the steam of the bathroom helps dilates the lungs and allows him to breath more readily. It is very effective but I will opt out to allow another expert to assist you. Good luck

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I really want to know is this severe enough for me to take him to my vet because nobody here seems to have an answer for me I don't want anything to happen to him
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I apologize that you didn't find Dr. Altman's advice helpful. In regards ***** ***** last message, if you lad is struggling to breathe, breathing faster then 30 breaths per minute at rest or has paler gums then usual (a sign of reduced oxygenation); then that cough warrants being seen urgently. If the cough is mild, then honey as was noted above can soothe the throat. Though if it is causing him bother and he is quite unsettled with it, then we can have his vet see him as soon as you are able (less of an urgent situation as long as his breathing is fine) so that they can start antibiotics, dog safe anti-inflammatories, bronchodilators or dog safe decongestants as needed to ease his signs and just nip this in the bud.

Please take care and do let me know if you need any other information,

Dr. B.