PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My female dog age 9 has a swollen non painful nipple that

Customer Question

my female dog age 9 has a swollen non painful nipple that she licks all the time. she has not been fixed and the nipple is getting bigger have no money to take her to a vet is there anything I can give or do for her at home
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is the associated mammary also swelling?
2) When was her last heat cycle?
3) Is the area hot, open or oozing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago. 2 1 month 3. no

Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 5-10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you

Annetta, perhaps the most effective way to end the licking will be to either place her into a shirt that covered the abdomen well enough to prevent it or use an e-collar. Often, the more abuse the skin suffers the more swollen an area will become. I cannot tell you why it is that she has started licking this area (it may very well be a tumor or could simply be compulsive habit), but often the more licking that occurs the more prominent the area becomes. If we can stop the licking, the nipple may return to normal size.

You can take her to any pet store and ask for an associate to help you fit her with a shirt or sweater. Something, again, long enough to cover the abdomen where she cannot lick. You can purchase an e-collar while there that should extend a few inches past her nose. You can also make one at home using these instructions:

There will certainly be no quick fix for this, but these two steps (and you can use them together, if needed) can be used to stop her licking. You can also apply neosporin to the area, if needed, to calm and heal any irritation to the skin. There is also a product on the marked that tastes absolutely horrible that might help deter her licking (keep in mind that she may redirect her attention to a different nipple or another area of the body, so I would still recommend the shirt/e-collar approach. Here is that product. Apply with gloves, you do NOT want this in your mouth. It's vile.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion?

Hi Annetta,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jelly. How is everything going?