jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

It appears that my dog has been going through labor for

Customer Question

It appears that my dog has been going through labor for close to 24 hours with no puppies yet. Should u be concerned?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your puppy?
Customer: I be concerned?
JA: Where does your puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: Shes panting and breathing hard
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: im not familiar with what that would look like, but the timeframe is too long for this, isnt it?
JA: Is your puppy eating normally?
Customer: Did i mention shes due to have puppies?
JA: Is your puppy having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: Dont think so, but not sure
JA: How is your puppy behaving differently?
Customer: Lethargic and trying to hide away from me because of the pain
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your puppy. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your puppy?
Customer: Shes been in labor for 24 hours
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Tamra Hunt replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I am Dr. Tamie and I am here to help. I am reading your question and type a response. I do have a couple of questions. How old is your dog? And what breed is she? When was she bred or when is her due date?

Typically, we expect a dog to produce a puppy when they are in active labor for 2 hours. When she is having contractions that you can see, we consider that active labor. The contractions are usually strong enough that you can actually see her muscles sweeze around her abdomen. Do you see that, or is she just uncomfortable, pacing, and panting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She was bred on 6/13th
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is 7 years old and shes breathing hard and panting. Cant tell about contractions. Feel puppies moving around inside of her, i think
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Texting is fine as well
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did i lose u?

Sorry! I am still here. The timing is correct for her to be in labor. Your initial question said she is panting and uncomfortable, but you aren't sure if there are contractions correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She stopped eating yesterday, early afternnon and has been in whelping box since.
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 3 months ago.

HI. Your original expert opted out. A dog's temperature usually drops below 99F in the 24 hours before labor stops. That is a very good sign that a dog will start active labor soon. Usually a dog stops eating the day before labor starts. Some other signs that my dogs always seem to exhibit are lack of appetite, frequent urination and frequent small, runny bowel movements in the day before labor starts. Frequently my dogs will start looking at their rears when the first real contractions start.

Here is an excellent site about whelping.

http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html

From your description, I would expect her to start whelping today. Once she is actively pushing if you don't see a puppy within a couple of hours then you would want to have her seen by your vet. Some dogs are hesitant about pushing inside as it feels like they need to defecate. Taking them outside with a towel to use to keep a pup warm if it should be born outside will help move labor along as well.

I have an appointment this morning but I'll be home in a few hours if you need more information.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She had a red sac hanging out of her; what do i do?

Hi JaCustomer,

Sorry for the delay. By now the red sac should be gone. Often if a pup is reabsorbed, a "water baby" is born which is a sac without a pup Otherwise, the sac often contains a pup or the afterbirth is being born before the pup. Hopefully if that was at 7:39 this morning you have some pups now.

Hi again,

Following up to see how things are going andif you found my answer helpful.