Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I just to seek some clarification regarding my 5 1/2 month

Customer Question

Hi there,
I just to seek some clarification regarding my 5 1/2 month Frenchie. She appears to be nervous, wanting to scratch and her bottom/vagina but can't reach, whining, looking etc. She has;t gone off her meals or lethargic and is due to be spayed in 2 weeks.
Could this just she is coming into heat? Or something else?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Tamra Hunt replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I am Dr. Tamie and I am here to answer your question about Mavis. I am reading your question and typing a response.

Mavis is old enough to come into heat. However, she may also have a skin infection around her vulva and that is causing her to be uncomfortable. Dogs also be uncomfortable in that area if her anal glands are full. These are 2 small glands on either side of her anus. Dogs typically express them when they have a stool. But if they don't the glands can become full and cause discomfort to the dog. Is she scooting at all or is she just trying to lick the area?