PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Took him to the groomer on Friday. They said he was too

Customer Question

Took him to the groomer on Friday. They said he was too matted to get his usual haircut and needed to shave him. Friday evening through today he's been shaking and just lethargic. I'm not sure what's going on. He isn't eating or drinking unless I bring the food and water to him. When I brought him his meal today, he ate it all up but he wouldn't walk over to eat it himself. He doesn't seem to be limping or anything the few instances I have been able to get him to walk a bit.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Digest what? His name is ***** ***** he's one year old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about butters?
Customer: He broke his leg last year in September when we were both in a car accident. He was completely fine Friday before I took him in to the groomer.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He's a Bichon/shih tzu mix
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How is Butters acting today?
2) Any improvements in his desire to walk?
3) Will he get up and go outside to use the bathroom on his own accord?
4) Any abnormalities in the way he's holding his body? dragging any limbs?
5) Does he appear to be sensitive to the touch?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1)He's still acting the same. Just lying around. Doesn't really want to do anything.
2)Not really. He just stands around when I put the leash on.
3)No. He just stands around. I've had to pick him up and carry him outside.
4)Seems to be standing ok to me. The only time he perks up is when I've asked him if he wants to come sit next to me on the couch then he'll come to the side of the couch and stand up for me to help him up (he's too short to get up on his own)
5)No. Not really. He seems ok when I pet him. I've tried checking his legs, stomach, etc for spots sore to the touch but there don't seem to be any.

I have a few concerns based on the symptoms you're describing.

First, it's very common for dogs that require being shaven (due to matting) to be tender following a groom. Sometimes they make the tenderness known, sometimes they are very stoic and just appear to be 'off'. This happens, in part, due to the fact that the groomer must slide the clippers between the skin and the matting which tends to pull against the skin giving a dog body-wide discomfort.

Second, I am concerned about a potential neck/back concern. Small breed dogs tend to be the most frequently affected and both bichons and shih tzu's are breeds that often suffer these types of afflictions. In many cases, the dogs suffer a mild to moderate discomfort that doesn't really present itself as much aside from a major change in behavior.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you specifically between the two if either of these are causing the problem or if its something different entirely. It sounds like he's willing and able to eat and drink normally, but that discomfort may be playing a role since he does not want to move around and would rather have you carry him where he needs to go. If this was due to the groom, the grooming facility may be willing to cover the cost of an examination. I would not only reach out to the grooming facility regarding your concern, but I would also schedule an exam for your companion. I imagine they will likely place him on a few days of canine-safe NSAIDs to see if this alleviates any discomfort that he might be feeling.

Failing this, we can give therapeutic dosages of aspirin to dogs in a pinch. See the following link for more information:

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: