Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

If my Males has breed with my Female and he has Chagas can

Customer Question

If my Males has breed with my Female and he has Chagas can his puppies or my
female get it from him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

As Chagas is a parasitic infection that is spread via insects, just having your male dog in the same area as your female dog carries risk of disease spread. So, while sex will not transmit this, if there is any chance that both are bitten by the same insect then she could become infected. And if she were, then there is risk to the puppies since this can be spread via the placenta and there are reports of transmammary (when nursing) spread as well. So, the female is at risk just being in the same location as Danny but the risk is not spread by sex. And if she has been infected, then this could readily infect and harm the pups. So, if you were inclined to mate them, then we'd want her tested. And if she is positive, then mating should be avoided and you may wish to consider discussing treatment options with their vet for both dogs.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )