Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My dog has eaten dog food he isn't used to. He pooped twice

Customer Question

My dog has eaten dog food he isn't used to. He pooped twice in the house which is unusual, threw up and is hiding under the couch and won't come out
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mani he is a 10 year old miniature dachshund
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mani?
Customer: He generally eats a raw food diet, meat, with cooked brown rice and pumpkin Our house guest gives her dogs canned dog food with some kibble. I am a bit concerned this is not normal for him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am very worried because I have heard when dogs feel really bad, they will go and be alone and there is no coaxing them out.

Well usually what you are seeing is not so serious, but I am typing out a full reply with some ideas on how to handle it.

You will have it in a few minutes ...

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear Mani is a little unwell,however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Actually a sudden change is diet can often cause a bout of gastroenteritis { vomiting and / or diarrhoea } in the dog, I have known this happen many times but thankfully it is rarely a serious sort of situation. But of course this sort of thing is always a gamble so if symptoms continue and you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for gastroenteritis in the dog which some owners try before getting a vet involved, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A couple of teaspoons twice a day should be fine for a dog the size of Mani.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Mani's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Mani is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his gastroenteritis ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?