Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

Thought my female dog was getting fat,then she started

Customer Question

Thought my female dog was getting fat,then she started peeing in the house last 2 days she bagged up with milk now acting like she is in labor. How can I figure out what's going on by myself?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to help you and Ladyblue. A few questions to better assess the situation. I presume she is intact? When was her last heat cycle? Have you seen her tied to an intact male dog in the last few months? What is she doing that seems like she is in labor? You are able to get milk from several of her nipples?

Unfortunately, the best way to assess true pregnancy is with radiographs. Pseudopregnancy (meaning her body is producing the hormones to tell her she is pregnant) will cause all of these symptoms as well. The only way to know for sure is to see fetal skeletons via radiograph. If she is truly in labor, I can send you some links to walk you through what to do and at what point you need to take her to the ER if she is experiencing complications.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My dog has been very chubby sense November this last week she has lost weight to were she's not chubby any more I've been seeing blood spot's around the house she's been breathing heavy and not wanting to get up to do anything yes she is still intact also she is 9 years and 5 month's old

Weight loss, blood spots, breathing heavy and being lethargic have me concerned that there is something far more serious wrong. If you have access to an ER vet, I would take her tonight if the lethargy or breathing worsens, otherwise I would have her seen by your vet tomorrow. Those symptoms fit with multiple medical issues (uterine infection, liver disease, kidney disease, low red cell counts, etc). I unfortunately cannot give you a more specific diagnosis without a hands on exam and some baseline bloodwork.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (that is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you I'll take her in

I hope I have answered your questions, if so please accept my answer and kindly rate me (that is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer further questions. Thank you.