Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I had to put my American pitt terrier in the hospital

Customer Question

I had to put my American pitt terrier in the hospital yesterday. She was playing and running with her compaion Shadow when I heard this scream coming from my pitt. I talked to a vet, fri night and she told me that my Abby, had have what is called a stroke in her spine. Please are there any other information I can get to ease my knowledged. I have never in my life heard of such a thing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet girl's condition...i know this is frightening. In most cases, as dogs play, they can cause a disc in their back to become unstable causing severe pain and inflammation. This can also cause a blood clot to block an area of the spinal cord which would be a stroke in your sweet Abby's spine. You did not say what symptoms Abby has but if she is able to move without total paralysis, this is treatable with anti inflammatory medications and rest. It is only serious if the clot or disc material blocks off entirely the spinal cord which could cause permanent damage to her spinal nerves. Hopefully, this is not the case and Abby will respond to the medications and be fine.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She cannot stand ir move her back legs or tail. She is now at the animal hospital, since yesterday morning. Friday night I gave her an norco 5-325 and 10 mg. Flexeril. How long will she be like thus you think?

It all depends on how much damage has been done to the spinal cord. If Abby is the same as yesterday with no improvement after intensive treatments, the prognosis may not be good. You will need to discuss the findings of the tests that your vet ran to tell if there is a chance that your sweet girl can come out of this....all you can do now if to hope and pray. I am so so sorry!! There is still time for her to improve so keep the faith....

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you this was very helpful to me. She has a good momma here and I will see to it that she gets the best care. Me and the rest of my pack here miss her so much last night.

You are very welcome!! I know you will make sure sweet Abby gets the best care and since you were so quick to get treatment for her, this is always a good sign with neurologic conditions. My thoughts and prayers are with your sweet girl!!