Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has worn his hair off by his mouth and keeps

Customer Question

My dog has worn his hair off by his mouth and keeps scratching what can I do for him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

It sounds like your dog is having a contact allergy to something in the environment. I will give you a list of things to help with his allergies but if there is any discharge, oozing, or no improvement with the recommendations then please seek veterinary attention to control his symptoms

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch. This might cause mild sedation but this will subside with use
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo daily at first with ten minute contact time to the areas he is most itchy then rinse thoroughly. Once the chewing begins to subside you can reduce the frequency of the baths. Initially you may notice hair loss as the dead/ dying hairs slough but then this should resolve and begin to fill in
- Fish oil supplementation to promote a healthy skin and coat.
- A high quality organic diet not one that contains by products and ensure you are not using plastic food nor water bowls which have a high allergy response rate
- A cone or e- collar that you can purchase at your local petstore to break the cycle of rubbing and inflammatory reaction while the above recommendations begin to take effect

I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!