Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

She is 13 yrs and now can not stand up due to her back legs

Customer Question

She is 13 yrs and now can not stand up due to her back legs and hips-- she can do it after pain medication but she is still weak . I think it is getting time for her to be put to sleep.... She has seizures and I have 90 days of phenobarbital... I would like to do it at home ... I know it is slower but she can just go to sleep. I am an ER nurse and can manage it.... I just do not know a dosge to give her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bear
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bear?
Customer: Her hips and back legs are very weak and painful...We think she is at her end of life... she is panting a lot ... appears unhappy when she cant stand up before pain medication... We have a little apple head chiu and he loves her so we want to put her asleep at home .. I have a new rx of phenobarbital 90 days supply
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i paid my 5.00 somehow I lost yu
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Friend, I am so sorry to learn Bear is not doing well. I know how difficult this must be for you especially having to make the decision of putting her to sleep. In response to your question, as an ER nurse, you know that patients respond differently to overdoses to barbituates. So giving her an overdose of phenobarbital may not necessarily cause her to pass quickly and peacefully. We don't use phenobarbital orally for euthanasia. In addition, you doing this is illegal for you and a very big liability for the veterinarian making this recommendation. I do, however, understand you wanting to have her pass at home. I would recommend you seek for a vet in your area that does a home visit and carries out a normal euthanasia via an IV infusion.

Dr. Peter.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much I understand ... I was not sure about it so I wanted to find out from a Vet not the internet... I gave her some codeine I have around and she is now up and doing well.. I will call the Vet in am and go from there.... I know the codeine will wear off and it is temporary, it gives us all time... She seems to be her old self... loving a hot dog... not running but walking... we are taking pics etc...Thank you so much... reaching out to you, while waiting to see if she could stand and walk with pain med, really helped me .... Thank you for being there and the support .. I do not want to do anything that makes her suffer or just be sick... You are right

I am glad I was here to help, thank you for understanding and being so concerned for Bear's comfort. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers tonight for strength during this difficult period for you.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you

You're welcome.