Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My Boston Terrier woke up this morningh panting. and seems

Customer Question

My Boston Terrier woke up this morningh panting.
and seems warm. What could be the problem
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about your pup's panting, and feeling warm this morning.

Dogs will usually feel warm to the touch to us because their normal body temperature is 100F to 102.5F, so they are normally several degrees warmer than we are. If they are anxious and panting that can raise skin circulation and they may feel even warmer.
Panting can be a sign of anxiety, pain, nauseousness, fever or low oxygen levels.

Please check Dixie's gum color. They should be a nice bubblegum pink color. If pressed on they should whiten and then quickly return to pink (less than 2 seconds).

If her gums are pink and blanche well then her oxygen levels are likely fine and she has something else going on.

If they are gray or white then possible heart disease, internal bleeding, red cell destruction or lack of production would be possible and she should be checked by a veterinarian promptly.

Is she eating and drinking normally? If so that is a good sign. Dogs that are in real trouble healthwise usually lose their appetite.
If she's been vomiting at all or drinking lots of water, or has a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure then there is likely an internal problem going on that needs to be investigated further with a veterinary visit.

But if she's not vomiting and her appetite isn't as good as usual then she may just have mild stomach upset and there are some things we can try.

To try and settle her stomach today you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

Either of these will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation.

Then start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. If she does well with this then slowly transition her back to her regular diet. This was likely related to nonspecific stomach upset, which should be investigated further with her veterinarian if it returns.

Can you take her temperature? A normal rectal temperature in a dog is 100F to 102F, anything at or above 103F is considered a fever and indicates infection or systemic inflammation.

If she doesn't have a fever and she is eating then ok is she having trouble jumping, going up or down stairs or rising from a lying down position? If so and all else seems normal then musculoskeletal disease, possibly a back pain or an injury are likely behind her symptoms. If you can find a particular area that seems painful warm compresses or a heating pad set on low on that area for 10 minutes at a time several times today is indicated. Bostons as a breed are prone to back problems. You should greatly limit her activity (no running, jumping or stairs) and keep her quiet for at least 7-10 days.

If this has been going on for several days a hands on veterinary examination is the best thing. I understand that it's Sunday and that may be difficult today so I've given you some ideas to try and pin point a little further what may be causing her distress and the urgency of each possible underlying problem.

I would recommend having her seen tomorrow though if she's not back to herself, or at least improved.
Please reply with further questions or specific responses to the questions I've asked above for further guidance.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.
Hi Bob,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dixie. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****