Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

She is dry heaving. She doesn't bring up anything except

Customer Question

She is dry heaving. She doesn't bring up anything except occasionally a small spot of saliva. It has been happening for 24 hours now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Java, 8 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Java?
Customer: She is shedding at the moment; other than that she has been healthy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Java is having this problem.

Has this happened in the past?

Any diarrhea?

Does she seem normal otherwise?

Is she eating?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, this hasn't happened before. No diarrhea. She hasn't been eating her dry food but ate wet food when I gave it to her . The dry heaving happens every few seconds, with somepauses
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

If it is happening that often I would have her seen by a vet today. She should not be dry heaving that much. I am worried she might have some foreign object that may be causing some blockage or obstruction or she has very severe inflammation in the GI tract.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She dragged while being walked yesterday. She is shedding (she is a shiba inu), but I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I doubt the shedding has anything to do with it.

However I would recommend her being seen today since she is not feeling well. I don't want her to get worse throughout the day.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay. Does it matter whether or not she eats before she visits the vet? I don't know whether a full stomach is better or worse in cases of possible foreign object obstruction or severe GI inflammation.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I would try to keep her on an empty stomach. It makes x-rays and ultrasound easier if they are needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, thank you.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome.

I wish you both the best.

Have a wonderful rest of your day!