Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has a lump on his back leg when I touch it it is warm

Customer Question

My dog has a lump on his back leg when I touch it it is warm an soft an a blood puse comes out
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I checked for bite marks an there doesn't seem to be any also he suffers from dermatitis in between his paws
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, if you are seeing both blood and pus, then Lightning has an abscess here. They aren't always caused by bites and any trauma (even microscopic from licking) could allow bacteria into the skin to cause this. As for addressing this, if there is quite a bit of pus, you can express this gently to get as much of that infection out as possible. Afterwards you can flush this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water) to flush out the bacteria present. If it is very superficial, you can use an OTC antibiotic cream but if it is a lump we will want his local vet to start antibiotics to treat this from the inside out (else they tend to recur). And if it is very sore, then he may need a dog safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc) to reduce swelling and ease discomfort as this heals. And of course, if he does tend to lick the area, short term use of an e-collar can help prevent him from putting more bacteria into this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so if I just keep it clean an try n get all the pus out he should be okay? How long do I leave it until I take him to the vet if it's not getting better?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

It does depend on how deep it is. For superficial wounds, topical care may be all it needs. Though as it was a lump and thus a pocket of pus, we tend to find oral antibiotics a better choice else there is a risk that any bacteria left in the skin will cause a second abscess after the skin heals. So, you can try expressing and vigorous flushing (not just expressing alone since that won't be enough) for 48 hours and see if this settles but otherwise we'd need antibiotics from his vet to get this cleared quickly.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here is a picture of it thank you again
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Looking at the size of this, antibiotics unfortunately would be ideal here to get this sorted without complications.

Best regards,

Dr. B

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Hi Tamara Mcleod,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lightning. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He is much better thank you we ended up taking him to the vet and they gave him antibiotics and now he is back to his old self thank you so much for all your advice I love my man so much an so greatful he is all better
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update, Tamara.

I am glad to hear that he has responded well to treatment and is back his normal self. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Please make sure to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )