Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My dog tore her ACL. she was on rimadyl and ran out

Customer Question

my dog tore her ACL. she was on rimadyl and ran out Thursday. Friday she didn't have much of an appetite but today she hasn't had an appetite at all. she is still drinking water tho. does going off rimadyl have anything to do with her appetite?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Georgia and she is 5 almost 6. Doberman. female spayed
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Georgia?
Customer: she had blood tests prior to being put on rimadyl. while she was on rimadyl she had a normal appetite.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Georgia is not feeling well.

Many times if a dog is still painful, the appetite will decrease when going off the Rimadyl. It sounds like she might need to be on it a little bit longer. There is also the potential she is having some upset stomach either related to the medication or not related at all. I would start by giving her a 20mg omeprazole (prilosec OTC) to help calm her stomach. Offer her a bland diet today like plain boiled chicken and plain white rice. If she is not improving today or if she starts vomiting or having diarrhea, I would have her seen by your vet tomorrow.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I just wanted to check in. I never heard back from you. How is your Georgia doing? Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish you and Georgia the best. Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. G.