Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Vomiting and thirst, I have no idea. not that I know of. but

Customer Question

vomiting and thirst
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I have no idea. not that I know of. but they both go out in the back yard to free roam.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: well, here is the kicker. I am not sure which dog it is. we have 2 dogs. cocker spaniel and a cocker mix. we put them up together to go out and came home to find vomit for the 2nd time. I assume the thirsty one is vomiting. however, she has cushings disease so could be she is thirsty from that.
JA: How old is well, here?
Customer: both are about 11 years old. both are rescues so age is just a guess.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about well, here?
Customer: one of them injured their neck a few weeks ago and vomited then and then couldnt take the meds he was given because they made him vomit. This vomite looks similar.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I'd note that it may not be the thirsty one that is our culprit. Cushings does increase thirst and often dogs with nausea will be inclined to drink less. In any case, we'd want to watch them both and use supportive care until we know who our culprit is or get them both settled.

To start, you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if they have any other known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, we can put both dogs on small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk for vomiting dogs, we need to keep an eye on their hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. First, we want to make sure their gums are moist not sticky, that their eyes are not looking sunken and that neither one has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have the vomiter seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Still if we are not sure which dog is unwell, we can use the above for both to try to settle them. Though if the vomiting one makes themselves known and are not settling, then we'd want to have the local vet involved. They can assess hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in the affected ones stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle this wee one's stomach and get him back feeling like normal.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.
Hi Christy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet