Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 9-10 year old Standard Poodle has been having serious

Customer Question

My 9-10 year old Standard Poodle has been having serious cognitive declkine and confusion. We recently relocated but I have done everything I can to normalize her life and that doesn't seem to be the issue. It's almost like she is lost at times. What is the stand for dementia in dogs>?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the standard poodle?
Customer: She has lost all manners and is counter surfing and has issues even finding her food bowl. I have made all efforts to make her as comfortable as possible so that she is not stressed but for lack of a better phrase, Her happy meal is losing its French fries.
JA: What is the standard poodle's name?
Customer: Lily
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lily?
Customer: Her physical health is good. She just got over an allergy related ear infection. Her motor skills are slightly off as she has issues with coordination on stairs now. She still eats and enjoys treats. My Rott that is her bestie has started to leave her alone more and more.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there such a thing as doggie dementia? What are the signs? Are they similar to humans? How long before there are serious side effects in a Standard Poodle that is 9-10?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog is not feeling well.

Has she had any senior bloodwork since this problem began?

Any previous problem with hind limb weakness or slipping?

Any history of arthritis?