Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My 11 lb dog just ate one grape. Should I be concerned? She

Customer Question

My 11 lb dog just ate one grape. Should I be concerned? She ate it about 30 minutes ago and seems fine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

A single grape can potentially lead to kidney failure in any dog. We do not know how the toxicity occurs. Because of this, I would induce vomiting. This can be done at home (via 3% hydrogen peroxide) or at the vets office via an injection.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

The dose of peroxide is 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. It should be repeated if there is no vomiting after 10 minutes. If she vomits it up, there should not be any issue and no long term side effects. If she does not vomit it up, I would head to the emergency vet to have them induce vomiting.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It will take 10 minutes for her to commit after ingesting peroxide ?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

It can take 10-20 minutes. The dose should be repeated if there is no vomiting after 10 minutes to help try to induce the vomiting a little faster. if there is no vomiting after 20-30 minutes, she should head to the emergency vet.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ugh. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome.

Hopefully she vomits up soon.

I wish you both the best.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great night!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

How is Lucy doing?

I noticed you have not accepted or rated this conversation yet and I wanted to see if there was anything else I could help you with.

Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish both the best. Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.
Hi Nicole,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?

Dr. G.