PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I believe my Yorkie has sprained/strained her L front paw.

Customer Question

I believe my Yorkie has sprained/strained her L front paw. We live in the country and no vets are available on week-end:( Can I wrap it with an ace bandage? Snosue
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is***** was a rescue, so don't have accurate age, but she is graying and I think she must be 6 or 7, maybe older.
JA: How old is Lili?
Customer: 6 or 7, maybe older - she was a rescue
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lili?
Customer: She puts NO WEIGHT on foot at all. Pads show no wound or injury.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

Yes, you most certainly can wrap the limb. However, expect that she may either chew the bandage off if not watched and may still try to use it if it begins to feel better. Make sure that whatever you use to secure the bandage that it's not sharp and not edible, sometimes dogs wind up eating the prong fasteners that we often use and that can cause an even more major concern.

Here's a basic method on wrapping a limb. Make sure that the bandage is not too tight (it should be snug like panty hose but not tight or it may restrict circulation). Leave the toes exposed so you can check their temp. If they become cold, unwrap the limb.

Let me know if I can help further.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?