Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Story. She may have had a seizure. She has an ear infection

Customer Question

Long story. She may have had a seizure. She has an ear infection and she got vaccinated three days ago. My girlfriend took her back to the vets yesterday and she said the symptoms should go away in a few days. Both eyes twitch back an forth and she blinks all the time. She also holds her head tilted and loses her balance
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: A few years ago she twice had something similar but she was totally fine within the 20 minutes it took to get to the vet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bella. She may have had a seizure involving her cerebellum or brain stem (areas controlling balance) but her nystagmus (eyes flicking back and forth), head tilt, and ataxia ("drunken sailor") are pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of vestibular disorders and her history of ear infection should prompt consideration of the infection involving her inner/middle ear (otitis interna/otisi externa) and causing a peripheral rather than central vestibular (balance) disorder involving her cerebellum or brain stem.

X-rays of Bella's middle ear(s) should be considered. If the middle ear is infected, long-term systemic antibiotics +/- surgical intervention of the middle ear needs to be initiated. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.