Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

He swallowed polyester fiber, Leo and 5-6 months, No except

Customer Question

He swallowed polyester fiber
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Leo and 5-6 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leo?
Customer: No except that the peace was like 5-6 inches tall and 1 nick wide
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Leo. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. How long ago did he ingest this material?

2. How much does he weigh?

3. And, to confirm, he ingested approximately one piece which was 5-6 inches long but 1 inch wide, is that correct?

There may be a very slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He ingested the material about 10 minutes ago. He weighs about 25-30 pounds. And the information about the material is correct.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

More than likely, he'll pass this material just fine but since he ingested it only 10 minutes ago, there's sufficient time to induce vomiting if you don't want to worry about it causing an obstruction.

If you have fresh 3% hydrogen peroxide (it should bubble and fizzle), then 3 teaspoons can be given. Mix it with bread and then walk him around for 15 minutes. The dose can be repeated if necessary.

Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.

If you're unsuccessful and/or don't have any peroxide to give him, then feed another meal with fiber (whole wheat bread, for example). Walk him more frequently than you normally would which can help to increase transit time.

Monitor the stools for evidence of the material which may show up as soon as 12-24 hours or may take longer to pass through his system.

Signs to monitor for an obstruction will be vomiting, disinterest in food, lethargy and/or abdominal pain.

As I mentioned above, most dogs will be able to pass this sort of thing (even a small dog) with no adverse effects at all but at least you have the option of trying to remove it now.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Leo. How are things going so far with him? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb