Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

He is twitching like something is in his ear, a 4.1 pound

Customer Question

He is twitching like something is in his ear
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a 4.1 pound terrier mix...We live in Palm Springs but are in Santa Rosa for a month...he got infested with fleas which we don't have in the desert and the PetSmarat vet gave us some flea stuff for a dog 5 pounds and up and don't know if that is causing the problem.
JA: OK. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: Forrest Hill, 3 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Forrest Hill?
Customer: No, he was checked in Palm Springs before we left and he was A-OK.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This may be a form of allergic reaction to the flea medication or it may be that Forest Hill is irritated by the flea bites even if they are not present. Check inside his ears to see if something may be present....if this looks clear, then give him 5 mg of Benadryl every 12 hrs for a day or so. If this is an allergic reaction, this will resolve with this medication...it may make Forest Hlill drowsy so be aware. If you suspect the flea medication, the vet at Petsmart is obligated to check Forest Hill to be sure so that is an option also.

If he has something in his ear seen by only one ear twitching, you can put a few drops of Swimmers Ear inside his ear,then massage it down to soothe this area. This can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy as well as the Benadryl in the liquid pediatric form. Each teaspoon contains 12.5 mg so you would give Forest Hill 1/4 teaspoon every 12 hrs.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it does. He is so small that anything can affect him. The other bigger dog is fine. Thank you.

You are very welcome! These small guys are so sensitive that they will react when others have no problem...hope Forest Hill feels better soon!