Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is not putting weight on her left hind leg

Customer Question

Doesn't put weight on her left hind leg. Gave her a baby aspirin at 6:00 am. Was wondering when I can give her a tramadol. She is 11 years old, small box, about 50 pounds. Thank you.
There isn't a wound on her foot. It started when she woke up this morning. I thought maybe she slept on it wrong.
She's actually my daughter's dog and I'm doggie sitting. Her name is Precious. :-) She is showing age. We've had her since she was 6 weeks. I have an appointment with her vet for Monday morning but was wondering about the tramadol.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.
Hello & welcome,
First, I do need to warn you that if Precious cannot put any weight on the leg at all (even for a moment), we'd be concerned about a possible hip dislocation. If this has happened, it is an emergency since the longer a hip joint is dislocated the harder it is to get back in and keep it from dislocating again. As well, if there is any chance of fractures that too should be seen by the local vet urgently.
Otherwise, if she hasn't any risk of these and can put her foot down for at least a moment, then you can consider using Tramadol and I'd note that it is a safer option than OTC anti-inflammatories like Aspirin (which aren't great pain relief and can cause stomach ulcers). In fact, we rarely use Aspirin in dogs but use Tramadol quite regularly. In regards to doing so, we could give a 50lb dog a tablet of 50 mg Tramadol every 8- 12 hours while resting her until her appointment. Of course, that means no stairs getting on/off furniture and just lead walks to do her business and rest. As well, as arthritis is so common at her age, you can also add in OTC joint supportive care like Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Omega 3 fish oils or Duralactin. These just can keep them mobile and help if she has underlying joint issues at her age.
Please take care.