Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 6 month old beagle mix ate a small amount of purple hair

Customer Question

My 6 month old beagle mix ate a small amount of purple hair dye about an hour ago. She is not vomiting or having diarrhea, in fact i just walked her to see if she would go for grass to make herself throw up, and her bowel movement was normal. Her energy levels are the same. Her only worrying symptom is she is drooling heavily. She has never drooled before, yet now there is a constant stream of drool and she keeps licking her nose, which is very wet. Is there anything i can do to help her, and what signs should i watch for if it becomes more serious?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How is Stitch just now?

What ingredients were listed in the dye?

How much is a small amount? A spoonful, more or les?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Stitch seems to be doing fine, shes full of energy, regular bowel movement, playing rough with her sister, the only concerning factor is the extreme salivation. As well as the "beautiful" purple tongue shes sporting, but i know that just from the dye. As for the amount that she ate, at MOST it was a spoonful. I am a hairstylist, so i have tubes of dye. She found one, -pierced the tube with her teeth and was licking the tube. It was still a full tube, just slightly compressed, i vant guate the full amount. The ingredients in the color are: water, cetyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, lanolyn alcohol, ceteareth-20, propylene glycol, hydrolyzed keratin, ethyl ester of hydrolyzed silk, socium sulfite, simethicone, EDTA, and fragrance.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that she didn't have much, though I share your concern about the drooling here. This tends to be something we see due to these ingredients causing mouth/throat irritation but can also be linked to nausea. In this case and at this stage, we'd want to start supportive care for Stitch. Ideally, we'd want to flush her mouth with cool water to remove any residues. Afterwards, we can try to counter nausea using an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Further to this, we can also consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, most of the ingredients in this dye are just oral and stomach irritants. So, we'd want to keep a close eye but use the above to see if we can get her settled. Of course, if her signs linger, then we'd want to have a check with her vet for anti-nausea medication by injection and gastroprotectants to just nip this irritation in the bud.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
Hi Eden,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Stitch. How is everything going?