Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My Shih Tzu swallowed 3 Grapes grapes you're standing there

Customer Question

My Shih Tzu swallowed 3 Grapes white grapes you're standing there poisonous what do I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello Chuck

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds } ?

2. How long ago did this happen, { minutes or hours ago } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My Shih Tzu is a girl she weighs 22 pounds she just ate 3 white grapes and I understand they're poisonous and can kill them within the last 15 minutes please tell me what to do

Hello again Chuck,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Good news! I would very much doubt if your dog will have any problem. The reason I say this is that the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Centre studies suggest that the lowest documented toxic dose was 10 to 12 grapes in a 20 pound dog. And this is my own experience as well with the clients at my clinic in the past.

You can check this information here : LINK

2. Going on the above it is clear that your dog is not at any risk from just three grapes, there are no special measures you need take, your dog should be just fine. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your Shitzu's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Chuck,

I am just checking back in to see how your Shih Tzu is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the grapes ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Chuck,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?