Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog Toby is having trouble with pain when you lift his

Customer Question

My dog Toby is having trouble with pain when you lift his tail. He's almost 3. 50# ***** lab Brittany mix. He was fine this afternoon but I recently noticed his tail was tucked and he is kind of slicking around rather than his usual rambunctious self. He's staying In his kennel and has to be coaxed out. I don't know if he has a temp but his breathing is a little elevated. Should I be concerned at this point?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

It sounds like Toby may have limber or limp tail and should see your veterinarian tomorrow to dispense pain medication for him. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition which describes an injury occurring mostly in sporting or working dogs such as English Pointers, English Setters, Foxhounds, Beagles, and Labrador Retrievers. Limber tail syndrome is also known as swimmer's tail, cold water tail, broken tail, dead tail or broken wag

In the meanwhile please allow him to rest which will hopefully provide relief, add fiber to his meals (white rice, canned pumpkin) and water to ease his ability to defecate with urgency and entice his appetite as well

The elevated breathing is often related to pain as this can definitely be a painful condition that we don't really fully understand but with rest and pain medications will subside within 1-2 weeks

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am online another 10 minutes tonight to assist you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!