Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dogs were exposed to antifreeze. There are two types of antifreeze available in the United States. One type contains Ethylene Glycol. This ingredient, in any amount, WILL KILL YOUR DOGS and is a medical emergency. There are antidotes available, but you will need to go to the emergency vet immediately for them to receive it.
The other type contains propylene glycol. This is not nearly as toxic but can cause severe intestinal symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea.
You can call the customer service number on the bottle of the antifreeze they were exposed to, to determine the exact ingredient in the product or just proceed to the ER immediately.
Forcing them to drink water will not help.
Does this help? What other questions do you have?
How are your dogs tonight? Were you able to take them to the emergency room last night? Do you have any more questions for me?