Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dog and my son's dog may have ingested some RV

Customer Question

my dog and my son's dog may have ingested some RV antifreeze
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: the one is 5 1/2 she is a shi tzu mix 10 pounds the other is a red nose and blue nose mix pit bull 1 year old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the?
Customer: the smaller dog had the fluid on her, I bathed her with Dawn will that be okay? We've been pushing water
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 3 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dogs were exposed to antifreeze. There are two types of antifreeze available in the United States. One type contains Ethylene Glycol. This ingredient, in any amount, WILL KILL YOUR DOGS and is a medical emergency. There are antidotes available, but you will need to go to the emergency vet immediately for them to receive it.

The other type contains propylene glycol. This is not nearly as toxic but can cause severe intestinal symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea.

You can call the customer service number on the bottle of the antifreeze they were exposed to, to determine the exact ingredient in the product or just proceed to the ER immediately.

Forcing them to drink water will not help.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

How are your dogs tonight? Were you able to take them to the emergency room last night? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. Amanda