Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

We are on a trip taking my daughter up to college. My dog,

Customer Question

We are on a trip taking my daughter up to college . My dog , 3yrs old spayed female , has not urinated since we left. We have been up here for 3 days and i take her out all the time , long walks , but still she hasn't urinated. She drinks water and eats fine , but i have limited the amount of food and water due to her not going to the bathroom . I am considering taking her to a vet hospital but we are limited on funds.. I don't want her to get sick . I am not sure how to help her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no ..she walks fine and she has no injuries . She just has not gone pee .
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jessie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jessie?
Customer: other than she is a rescue dog. We got her when she was 6months old. This happened on our last trip but after a day , she had no choice but to go. That trip was only 2 days though. this one will be a week . She is very nervous dog , and have worked with her to get her over that .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She weighs 50 lbs and is a terrier mix
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Jessie. It would be very unlikely for her to sicken herself by retaining urine. I haven't seen this to occur in over 44 years of practice. Her bladder can be abnormally stretched, however, which could potentially result in atonicity - lack of muscular tone - which should be reversible but over a period of time during which she would have trouble urinating. Hence, it would be prudent to have a vet examine her. Less likely, she has been forming less urine than usual as would be seen with dehydration from many causes or primary renal disorders. This would be unlikely in an otherwise normal dog, however.

You mustn't restrict water or food. If anything, such restriction would prolong the length of time she could go without eliminating. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?