Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog ate 1/3 of naproxen pill yesterday between 10 and

Customer Question

My dog ate 1/3 of naproxen pill yesterday between 10 and 11;30 am. I know because we found the rest of the pill when we returned home. Since we have two maltipoos, and we didn't know which one of them ate it, we waited. All was well the rest of the day; they ate dinner, and we went to bed later.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: This morning I woke up to vomit on the floor in a few places. I knew then which dog it was. Our vet was called, and she said she couldn't see her until 3;30 today. that is4 hours from now. Dog's name is Cassie; she weighs 12 pounds
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cassie?
Customer: She vomited again a few minutes ago. Should I wait for the vet visit in 4 hours or should I go to the emergency room?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many milligrams was the naproxen?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Is she lethargic?

Friend, it appears you have gone offline. I will opt out so another expert can help you if your return. I will be going offline for a few hours, I am sorry I can not wait any longer.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Peter for you. 1/3 of the standard naproxen (220 mg) = approximately 70 mg. 70 mg/12 lbs = 5.8 mg/lb. Gastrointestinal ulceration can appear at doses of 2.5 mg/lb and renal failure can appear at 7 mg/lb. Cassie needs the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.