Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Cherry eye for 6 month old Lhasa Apso- Day2, any home

Customer Question

Cherry eye for 6 month old Lhasa Apso- Day2, any home remedy? Please suggest.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. Welcome. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your little one. When a cherry eye happens, prolapse of the gland of the nictitans, it is due to a weakening of the cartilage that allows the gland to prolapse. There unfortunately isn't really anything that can be given as a topical to strengthen this cartilage. Topical steroids can be used to try and reduce some of the inflammation there, but it typically isn't going to work. Once that gland has weak cartilage, it will continue to prolapse. When it is prolapsed, it isn't painful to the pet. Long term with that gland out of its normal spot, it can cause decreased tear production so the recommended course of action is a visit to your vet to have them discuss surgery options to replace it back to its normal position. Here is a good link on this. Please read it and let me know what questions it brings up.