Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He had glaucoma a couple of years ago so he had to have his

Customer Question

He had glaucoma a couple of years ago so he had to have his eyes removed. He is 7 years old and has suddenly lost his sense of direction
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jasper. He is a sharp pei
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasper?
Customer: No he has been managing really well
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has anything recently been moved at home?

Does he seem to be losing his hearing?

Any ongoing health issues (ie coughing, sneezing, congestion, flu, etc)?

Does he seem wobbly or dizzy at all?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No nothing has been moved. He knows the property like the back of his hand. He had is usual dog grooming yesterday where his ears are cleaned. I think that I have worked out the answer as one of his ears is slightly sensitive. He has been sneezing. He is not wobbly just very unsure and wary of his surrounds which has never happened since he had his eyes removed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just wanted to let you know I am happy to pay for this consult but I do not want to pay on a monthly basis. I live in Australia and can't afford to do this on a monthly basis, especially as he is never sick and the exchange rate makes in unaffordable
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

No worries about that, my dear. I will pass on your message to customer service after we have discussed Jasper and you have left feedback closing the question.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, Jasper relies heavily on his other senses for getting around the house. So, if nothing has been changed at home (which is perfect for a dog without sight), but has sneezing and a sensitive ear post cleaning we have 2 potential causes for his disorientation.

First, sneezing often is related to nasal irritation and inflammation which could be accompanied by some reduced sense of smell. As well, if the ear is sore post-cleaning we'd be slightly worried that they may have irritated (depending on what they used) or even damage his ear drum (which can reduce his hearing for that ear thus throwing off the balance of what he hears from where).

With these in mind, we'd want to tread with care. If he has some sneezing, you can try steam treating him (ie taking him in the bathroom as you run a hot shower, a nebulizer/humidifier) to reduce congestion present. As well, you can use non-medicated saline nasal drops to clear the nostrils of any discharge and help get that sense of smell back up to normal.

In regards ***** ***** ear, we need to keep an eye on this. If it is just irritation, it likely will settle but we could gently flush the ear with salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) to remove anything lingering. But if his signs persist and that ear stays sensitive, then we'd need his vet to check the ear drum and access that for him. If it is damaged, it can heal (we may need anti-inflammatories to reduce inflammation to help it do so quicker) but it can take weeks to months to do so.

Overall, we have 2 possible causes for what you are seeing. So, we'd want to use the above to address as much as we can for him. In the meantime, we may need to restrict access to areas where he could fall or hurt himself. And if this persists (especially the sore ear), then we'd need that checked to make sure the ear drum hasn't been damaged and thus causing this for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

.