Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I own a greyhound, she has been acting fairly low energized

Customer Question

i own a greyhound, she has been acting fairly low energized since tuesday. she barely will eat her kibble but she will eat a frozen turkey neck. she doesn't seem to want to go on walks as much... or at least turns around after she has finished doing her business. we took her to the dog park and only walked slowly, usually she sprints. we just recently moved and she is fairly timid/shy so i chalked this up to maybe depression, but i am worried that it could be physiological.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: she had a cut pad before and kinda walked funny, but it hasn't really occurred to me to check, let me see
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: nope, no cuts
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
her stools are normal, no vomiting. we live in new orleans so its always hot this time of year, however she is unusually warmer than normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, or drooling?

Is she drinking water normally? More or less?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Any breathing changes?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no real gagging, lip licking or drooling per the usual. I hadn't noticed any retching either.she is drinking water a little less than normally. she drank more at our old house but she was never a huge water drinker.Gums appear pink but a little sticky but i couldn't tell you the baseline for that as i never usually checked for moisture in the pastwhen she lays she breathes normally, she was breathing heavy when i came home yesterday but that is not uncommon during a heavy rainstorm. she is generally fearful of storms. but sometimes i feel like she is warmer than usual.i did press her belly yesterday and a she showed some tensing although she was standing up. it doesn't appear to be bloated, but it tenses up a little one side more than the other.As far as eating something she should not have, I like to think not, we feed her the same three things: Call of the wild kibble, wishbones and frozen turkey necks. she seems less interested in her kibble but she has always been a little weird about it. but she is always excited to get a turkey neck or a wishbone. always drinks most of her water after she eats. That being said she is a stubborn girl and has been known to counter surf for food many times. we had a bbq on monday the day before the symptoms showed, but she was mostly in the back room on her bed.I just took her for a walk she ate some grass which is not unusual. her poop was dark followed by soft orange. her activity level is what really gets me. she refuses to move past a slow walk; which is very unusual for her.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

No worries if she was breathing heavy during the storm, that will be stress related. Though I am concerned to whether she has gotten something during the BBQ since this anorexia with tenderness rings alarm bells of possible foreign bodies (rib bones, corn cobs, skewers that had meat on them are the most common issues at BBQs this time of year) or possible pancreatitis if she did eat something richer then she was used to. Of course, with the stress of a recent move and a new area, its not uncommon to see anorexia due to brewing gut infections. And these would be our top suspects if there are no other changes, even if she is possibly putting a brave face on and only tensing with palpation.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start her on small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. I’d avoid the turkey necks for the short term and use something mild like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Though if you try these and she cannot be tempted, we can consider syringe feeding at this stage to get some nutrients into her and likely some energy. Options there would be watered down Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, Clinicare, Dogsure, or even canned puppy food. There are also nutrient pastes (ie Nutrical) that can help. And as all are very nutrient dense, a little goes along way in these cases.

Finally, since dehydration may be a risk if she isn’t drinking as much or enough to match her fluid losses from not eating, we need to keep a close eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. I am wary of this being related to the BBQ with how quickly her signs followed, but we do have some other concerns too. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants, +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet