Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

Have a 25 lb mixed doxie breed. she has been biting her paws

Customer Question

hello. have a 25 lb mixed doxie breed. she has been biting her paws lately and her vet said she most likely has 'seasonal allergies'. he suggested to give her Benadryl but forgot to ask dosage. I purchased 'children's allergy relief ' the only ingredient is diphenhydramine HCI 12.5 mg. they are cherry flavor dissolving tablets. 1. is this ok and 2. should I give her one or two and 3. should she chew (they are chewable) or should I give to her with jelly or PB. thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Benadryl can be helpful in seasonal allergies, although I have found dogs often require something stronger. The dose of Benadryl or diphenhydramine is 1mg/pound. So a dog between 12 and 24 pounds gets 1 12.5mg tablet. You can give them in any why that she will take them. However, whenever I use flavored medication I look closely. Some flavored medication is sweetened with an artificial sweetener called xylitol. xylitol is toxic to dogs so double check your bottle.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello. thank you here is the back of the box...Active Ingredients: Diphenhydramine HCl 12.5 mg. Antihistamine. Inactive Ingredients cherry Flavor, D&C Red #27, Aluminum Lake, D&C Red #30 Aluminum Lake, Dextrates, Ethylcellulose Polymers, Magnesium Stearate, Mannitol, Polyethylene and Polypropylene Polymers, Stearic Acid, Sucralose
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is mannitol and/or sucralose ok?

I don't see an xylitol there. It is usually very clearly listed if they put it in. The mannitol and sucralose are sugar alcohols and are fine.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great. So should i give her 2 or 1? she is approx 25ish lbs..

If he is close to 25 pounds, he can have 2.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She has never taken this before so I'm not sure how she'll do. As you can see I'm a worrisome mommy. :)

Best wishes!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They are flavored disolvables. should i just have her chew them? I'd also like to start her with one at first, will this do the trick or is it not going to help...I just want to make sure she can tolerate it...

My guess is she wont like them. I would try to put it in some peanut butter. I would start with one and see if it works, if not, try two next time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dissolve in mouth or chew before swallowing take every 4 to 6 hours. They are cherry flavored so she may like it. is it ok if she just chews as she won't just let it disolve ;)

It is okay if she chews them.... they work either way.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Got it!~ Ok thank you kindly...:) Have a nice evening. Regards ***** ***** and humid PA :)

I hope it works for you!