Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

My dog just killed a skunk. what should I do. I don't see

Customer Question

my dog just killed a skunk. what should I do. I don't see blood the skunk is def dead the dog has red blood shot eyes and he acts snippy. I'm dog sitting so I don't know what to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** a Norfolk terrior hes going to b 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about buster?
Customer: no he's norm a healthy dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

I don't know if you live in an area where there is rabies, but because skunks can carry rabies, you should put the skunk in a bag. Wear gloves and don't touch the skunk. Tomorrow contact your local animal control or animal services to see what needs to be done with it. If you live in an area where rabies is a problem they will want to test it. Also, they may recommend that you take Buster in to booster his rabies vaccine tomorrow.

You should also bath buster.... rinse his eyes well with saline (if you have it), water if it is all that you have. Check for any wounds. If wounds are present then he needs to go to a veterinarian to start some antibiotics. Depending on how severe the wounds are, it might be able to wait until tomorrow.

I know that he seems snippy.... don't bath him if it means that you are going to get bit. It is very important that you don't get bit by him.

And then just keep an eye on him. He should be fine. He may need antibiotics if there are wounds and he may need ointment for his irritated eyes. There are rare cases of problems if dog get sprayed in the mouth and swallow the spray so keep an eye on him and take him to the vet tomorrow.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.