Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a great dane. He keeps sitting down. He will walk a

Customer Question

I have a great dane. He keeps sitting down. He will walk a few feet, then suddenly sit down.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I took him outside but he just walked out to the lawn and immediately sat down.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hank. Age 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hank?
Customer: I checked his butt to see if maybe he had some grass or something else stuck in his anus (I've seen this happen before), but its clean and looks fine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has he been doing this?

Any pain when you palpate his legs, push on his belly or back?

Is he keeping his tail down? Any sores/lumps/changes around the rectum?

Any breathing changes or known health issues?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
To your questions, two days now. No apparent pain when I rubs his hips or belly. His tail is tucked up between his legs.no lumps, sores. Continues to sit immediately after moving from one spot to another. No breathing issues, but can tell something is bothering him.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Now we can see abrupt sitting behavior for a few different reasons. If he was just suddenly seeming winded on walks, sitting, then getting up to continue; then we'd be concerned about his heart. Though from what you have described, this sounds more like pain even if he is putting on a brave face with you rub areas. Common pain areas that can trigger this type of behavior are usually localized to the anal glands, back, hips, and sometimes abdomen (related to pancreatitis, foreign bodies in the gut, general gut blockages, splenic torsion). We can also see this with nerve pain and cancer compressing other organs in the abdomen but we’d hope this is less likely at Hank’s age.

In this case, since this has been persisting for days and we do have these concerns, I do have to say that it would be ideal to have him seen at this stage. His vet can check his glands and palpate his hips, spine and abdomen for the above. If it is found to just be due to joint discomfort, pain relief can be dispensed. Anal gland issues often resolve once the glands are emptied. And if there is any of those more severe worries, then knowing they are present now will let us address them quicker for him. Therefore, while we could try joint supports (ie glucosamine, chondroitin, Duralactin, etc) and having a groomer express his glands to rule out a few of these, at Hank’s age we are safer to have a full check to determine which of these are present and to at least get him onto some dog safe pain relief and nip this in the bud for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )